photo manipulation

Ilya Temkin it255 at NYU.EDU
Thu Apr 6 18:51:10 CDT 2006

Dear Paul,

It is not entirely clear to me what specific goal you are trying to 
achieve, but this might help.
To simply colorize a B&W SEM or TEM image:
1. Open it in Photoshop
2. Go to Image > Mode > check "RGB color" or "CMYK color" [this will 
change the original Grayscale to a color mode];
3. Go to Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation;
4. In the pop-up window checkmark "Colorize" box;
5. By moving the "Hue", "Saturation", and "Lightness" sliders you can 
achieve all the blazing color effects that will affect the entire image.
To apply different colors to different parts of the image, you will 
need to use various Select tools, and possibly, masks and layers, it's 
just a bit more complicated.

ilya tëmkin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul E. Hargraves" <pharg at GSO.URI.EDU>
Date: Friday, March 24, 2006 12:07 pm
Subject: photo manipulation

> Taxacomers:
> Changing the recent threads abruptly, I am wrestling with a 
> I'm sure others have dealt with.  One often sees former black/
> photos reproduced in various science magazines in blazing color, 
> SEM & TEM photos.  I assume this is done with Photoshop in some 
> Can someone give details on how this is done?
> --
> Paul E. Hargraves
> "Schau auf zu den Sternen, hab acht auf die Gassen" [-W. Raabe, 
> 1831-1910]
> "Eamus, O Celtae; Eamus, O Tibialia rubentia" [anonymous, 64 

More information about the Taxacom mailing list