Tetrapoda (and the new genus _Tiktaalik_)

Ken Kinman kinman2 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 7 16:04:21 CDT 2006

John,
     Panderichthys already had evolved many "tetrapod" characteristics:  flattening of body and head (eyes situated dorsally); skull and teeth very much like early tetrapods; and loss of the dorsal and anal fins.  The skull was so tetrapod-like that Panderichthys was classified as such until postcranial material was found.  It was placed outside of Tetrapoda mainly because it has fins and lack digits, and I am still inclined to follow that tradition.

      However, I am inclined to include Ventastega, Metaxygnathus, and Family Elginerpetonidae within Tetrapoda, because like other stem-tetrapods, they possess a parasymphysial fang as well as coronoid fangs (a transitional combination).  My main question is whether to also include slightly more primitive forms (such as Livoniana and Tiktaalik) in the Tetrapoda.

    -----Cheers,
             Ken Kinman