Are species real?

Mon Apr 10 08:31:23 CDT 2006

I didn't realize there was a broad perception that animal species are
somehow more "real" than plant species. I think the results of this recent
study are interesting and useful.  However, I would frame it the other way:
that animal species are every bit as artificial as plant species are (rather
than both species being "real").  I don't buy the argument that the
existence of quantifiable character clusters means that species are
"real" -- for either plants or animals.

Aloha,
Rich