Are species real?

Scott Lyell Gardner slg at UNL.EDU
Tue Apr 11 22:31:19 CDT 2006

During a field expedition on mammals and their parasites in the Beni of
Bolivia in 1985, (American Museum and Museum of Southwestern Biology)
the local Chimane were able to identify as distinct and different,
almost every species of rodent, bat, and marsupial that we collected.
They lived with the fauna and they knew the forest.  They were
splitters.  This was an interesting application of the idea of species
for a graduate student.  Equally interesting was the fact that the
invading campesinos, or colonists from other parts of Bolivia,
recognized very few species, even though they hunted and farmed to
survive.  To the colonists, animals were either small "bicho's" or
domestic animals.  So, they were lumpers.  One culture retained the
data, because of the way they lived.  The other had long ago lost
contact with nature and was living in a different way.

Scott Gardner

--
+-< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< >< ><><><><><><><><-+

Scott Lyell Gardner, Ph.D.
Director, Harold W. Manter Laboratory of Parasitology
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Lincoln, Nebraska 68588-0514

e-mail:   slg at unl.edu
Web:      http://hwml.unl.edu