Fwd: [rare-flora] Albert E. Radford

Susan B. Farmer sfarmer at GOLDSWORD.COM
Thu Apr 13 11:50:00 CDT 2006

----- Forwarded message from dswright at unity.ncsu.edu -----
    Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:05:30 -0400
    From: Donna Wright <dswright at unity.ncsu.edu>
 Subject: [rare-flora] Albert E. Radford
      To: rare-flora at lists.ncsu.edu

This sad announcement comes to us today from Peter White. Even if you
never
met Al, you probably have benefited from his well-lived life in botany
and
education. I am leaving the address header from Linda's note, in case
any
of you wish to express condolences directly to the family. Donna

>Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:53:32 -0400
>From: Peter White <peter.white at unc.edu>
>
>As some of you will have already heard, I write with the sad news that
Al
>Radford, a central figure in Southeastern Botany and long-time Director
of
>the the University of North Carolina Herbarium, passed away on April
12,
>2006.  The message I am forwarding is from his daughter in
>Missouri.  There will be a memorial service for Al in Chapel Hill in
May
>and we will distribute more information about that as it becomes
>available.  Al and his late wife Laurie remained strong advocates of
the
>Herbarium after Al's retirement and made a leadership gift to promote
the
>move of the Herbarium to its own building at the North Carolina
Botanical
>Garden, a move that we still pursue.
>Please keep Al and his family in your thoughts.
>
>Peter White
>Director
>
>--
>Peter S. White       email:Peter.White at unc.edu
>Department of Biology --  Campus Box 3280
>University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
>Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-3280   USA
>Biology Phone: 919-962-6939  FAX:  919-962-1625
>NCBG Phone:    919-962-0522  FAX:  919-962-3531
>                 Home Phone:  919-967-4926
>Web information: www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/white/
>                 www.ncbg.unc.edu

>Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:25:27 +0000
>From: lvinson at mchsi.com
>To: rmrgyoung at juno.com (Rhoda Young),
>    yukie0227 at herb.ocn.ne.jp (Yukie Yamaguchi), pswhite at unc.edu (Peter
White),
>    bwebber at indy.rr.com (barb and ev Webber),
>    jlinnenbringer at hotmail.com (Elaine Walker),
>    kseibert at interl.net (Kathy Seibert),
>    momandpopscott at netzero.com (Carolyn, Edward Scott),
>    schwartzbrown at optonline.net (Mindy Schwartz-Brown),
>    das47c at mizzou.edu (Donald A. Schmidt),
>    jo.allan at mchsi.com (Jo & Allan  Rodgers),
>    ejreeves at mchsi.com (Bette & Earl Reeves),
>    phil.radford at rdwi.org (Phil radford), lizradford at prodigy.net (Liz
> Radford),
>    kradford at earthlink.net (Katy Radford), dpittillo at gmail.com (Dan
Pittillo),
>    jmeyer93 at comcast.net (Jean Meyer),
>    lmellichamp at carolina.rr.com (Larry Mellichamp),
>    wjlight at earthlink.net (William Lightbody),
>    jlightbody at msn.com (Janet Lightbody),
>    winsome at email.unc.edu (Winsome Leadbetter),
>    woman_n_shoe at all2easy.net (Connie LaBarbera),
>    sylviamko at yahoo.com (Sylvia Ko), junk629 at yahoo.com (Amy & Alex
Junk),
>    dhjenk at tiscali.co.uk (David and Jane Jenkins),
>    whoffman at nwinfo.net (Walt Hoffman), dorishibbs at aol.com (Doris
Hibbs),
>    billru at heretohost.com (Bill andRuth Harvill),
>    petmat at clear.net.nz (Peter F. Hanscamp),
>    francguthrie at earthlink.net (Franc Guthrie),
>    feltontarheel at yahoo.com (PW Felton), Dunham at upcch.org (Bob Dunham),
>    DRDENNIS at peoplepc.com (Rita and Dave Dennis),
>    virginiaflo at aol.com (Florence Daly),
>    kristinajoy at hotmail.com (Kristina Joy Cunningham),
>    kburton9 at mybluelight.com (Kathy Burton), billburk at email.unc.edu
(Bill
> Burk),
>    georgeandjean at msn.com (George and Jean Brown),
>    wyobredins at vcn.com (Carol Bredins),
>    pjinc at blomand.net (Jerry and Patty Bradberry),
>    bebaxter at aol.com (Audrey Baxter), Adams at upcch.org (Mindy Adams),
>    lila at tranquility.net (Lila Adams)
>Subject: Albert E. Radford
>Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 01:25:27 +0000
>
>Dear Family and Friends,
>Today at 12:45 p.m. my dad passed on to be with the Lord.  His
departure was
>gentle.  Our son-in-law, Kris, checked on him and about 5 minutes
later, when
>the hospice chaplain arrived, Daddy had already slipped away. It was a
long,
>hard road with melanoma of the head and neck.  But Daddy did well and
enjoyed
>every day.  His last audible prayers were prayers of thanks for his
family.
>And last week when David and John and I were gathered around Daddy, he
>said, "You are wonderful children."  That was our real goodby.  This
week he
>hardly knew anyone.  We will have a service at Trinity Presbyterian
Church
>this Saturday at 10 a.m.  We will also have a service in Chapel Hill,
>probably
>in May.  At that service we will bury the ashes as we did with our mom.
>
>A chapter has closed and now we are the eldest generation in our
family.  And
>our children are the middle generation.  Great grandbaby Ian was here
when
>his
>great grandpa died.  Life continues on.
>
>Love, Linda