Are species real?

Thu Apr 13 08:28:57 CDT 2006

I understand the relevance of Systems Theory to biology and biological
systematics.  But I don't see how the application of such will help us
address the question of "reality" of taxa (at least in the context of how I
perceive the "reality of taxa" debate). Could you explain how you think it
(a Systems Theory approach) would help us discern whether species (and other
taxa) are "real" (=natural) entities, as opposed to human-defined
constructs?

If you're thinking in terms of understanding the dynamics of gene flow
within and among populations over time, I wonder how practical that approach
would be for the vast majority of biodiversity.

Aloha,
Rich