Are species real?

Pekka T. Lehtinen pekleh at UTU.FI
Fri Apr 14 18:01:34 CDT 2006

Richard Pyle wrote:

>I understand the relevance of Systems Theory to biology and biological
>systematics.  But I don't see how the application of such will help us
>address the question of "reality" of taxa (at least in the context of how I
>perceive the "reality of taxa" debate). Could you explain how you think it
>(a Systems Theory approach) would help us discern whether species (and other
>taxa) are "real" (=natural) entities, as opposed to human-defined
>constructs?
>
>If you're thinking in terms of understanding the dynamics of gene flow
>within and among populations over time, I wonder how practical that approach
>would be for the vast majority of biodiversity.
>
>Aloha,
>Rich

Dear all,
       I have been following the long debate about the "reality" of
species and other taxonomic
concepts. Now I was discussing this problem with my son, who happens to
be a PHILOSOPHER
He advised me to give everybody  the following information:
- The book: Suppe, Frederick (1989): "The semantic conception of
theories and scientific realism." Urbana, Ill., University of Illinois
Press, is recommended to everyone interested in this kind of
philosophic problems in biology.
- Dr. Michael Devitt <mdevitt at gc.cuny.edu> is at the moment visiting the
Department of Philosophy, University of Helsinki, where my son is
working and where Dr. Devitt  is presenting  a lecture "Resurrecting
biological essentialism".
    Anyone interested to discuss this problem  ("are species real ?") is
advised to contact him directly to get a philosopher´s opinion about
this obviously difficult problem.

    Pekka T. Lehtinen, a taxonomist, but also interested about
limitations of the concept of species