more phantom names (was: Errors = phantom names on the Internet) [ Scanned for viruses ]

Paul Kirk p.kirk at CABI.ORG
Tue Apr 18 14:22:35 CDT 2006

>let me once again, if I may, point to the real problem of  'phantom names' on
>the internet and how to avoid them. This is because a recent search via
>http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/portal/) revealed many more errors and it seems to me
>the problem is already more common on WWW than it ever was in the printed literature. Fast access  >to information is fine but fast access to wrong information is an imminent threat that calls for
>quick solutions.

I would not say that it is more common ... just more accessible.

The 'solution' is to start any search at one of the online nomenclators (IPNI, ZooRecord (ION), Index Fungorum etc) or aggregators (Species2000, UBio, GBIF) rather than just googleing the name; the nomenclators would be very grateful to hear about omissions and errors (one, Index Fungorum, does include unpublished and other non Code compliant names (with known provenance - e.g. names from label data in a specific collection) but these are hidden from the user interface and primarily for automated name resolution services.

Paul

Dr Paul M. Kirk
Biosystematist
CABI UK Centre (Egham)
Bakeham Lane
Egham
Surrey
TW20 9TY
United Kingdom

Telephone: +44 (0) 1491 829023
Fax: +44 (0) 1491 829100
Email: p.kirk at cabi.org
Visit us at www.cabi.org; www.indexfungorum.org

CABI improves people's lives worldwide by providing
information and applying scientific expertise to solve
problems in agriculture and the environment

Whilst CABI, the trading name of CAB International, takes steps to prevent the transmission of viruses via e-mail, we cannot guarantee that any e-mail or attachment is free from computer viruses and you are strongly advised to undertake your own anti-virus precautions.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by e-mail at cabi at cabi.org or by telephone on +44 (0)1491 829199 and then delete the e-mail and any copies of it.