FW: [TAXACOM] difference between the text within the squre parenthesis & semicircular parenthesis

Laurent at Laurent at
Tue Apr 18 16:35:31 CDT 2006

In ornithology, square brackets - "[...]" - are commonly used for
interpolated superspecies names, following an original recommendation by
Dean Amadon (1966, Syst. Zool. 15 : 245-249) - i.e. Phylloscopus [collybita]
ibericus would denote a species called P. ibericus, belonging to a
superspecies P. [collybita]. Parentheses - "(...)" - are typically used in a
similar context to indicate taxonomic uncertainty - Phylloscopus (collybita)
ibericus would denote a taxon that can be regarded either as a full species
P. ibericus, or as a subspecies of P. collybita.
As I understand it, this practice is not really Code-compliant, though :
according to the ICZN (6.2.), an interpolated superspecies name must appear
in parentheses... But it is so widely used that it would probably be very
difficult to change it. I'm unclear about what the usage is in other
disciplines. (Would be interested to know...)

Cheers,
Laurent -

Laurent Raty
Brussels, Belgium