Use of parentheses

Bob Mesibov mesibov at SOUTHCOM.COM.AU
Thu Apr 27 20:20:13 CDT 2006

I've seen Aus (Bus) xus Smith, 1900 become both

1. Bus xus Smith, 1900 and
2. Bus xus (Smith, 1900)

in the literature when the subgenus Bus is elevated to genus.

Does the Code regulate use of parentheses in this case? Section 51.3.2 says
"The use of parentheses enclosing the name of the author and the date is not
affected by the presence of a subgeneric name, by transfer to a different
subgenus within the same genus,..." My interpretation would be that (1) is
correct.
---
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate, Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery
and School of Zoology, University of Tasmania
(03) 64371195; 61 3 64371195

Tasmanian Multipedes
http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/zoology/multipedes/mulintro.html
Spatial data basics for Tasmania