Use of parentheses

Pape, Thomas TPape at SNM.KU.DK
Thu Apr 27 12:42:24 CDT 2006

Article 51.3 says that: "When a species-group name is combined with a
generic name other than the original one, the name of the author of the
species-group name, if cited, is to be enclosed in parentheses".

Therefore, if the nominal species Aus (Bus) xus Smith, 1900 later is
given as "Bus xus", there is a change in the generic name, which would
elicit the use of parentheses. Thus, the correct answer is:

Bus xus (Smith, 1900)

Thomas Pape
Natural History Museum of Denmark

-----Original Message-----
From: Taxacom Discussion List [mailto:TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU] On
Behalf Of Bob Mesibov
Sent: 27. april 2006 12:20
To: TAXACOM at LISTSERV.NHM.KU.EDU
Subject: [TAXACOM] Use of parentheses

I've seen Aus (Bus) xus Smith, 1900 become both

1. Bus xus Smith, 1900 and
2. Bus xus (Smith, 1900)

in the literature when the subgenus Bus is elevated to genus.

Does the Code regulate use of parentheses in this case? Section 51.3.2
says "The use of parentheses enclosing the name of the author and the
date is not affected by the presence of a subgeneric name, by transfer
to a different subgenus within the same genus,..." My interpretation
would be that (1) is correct.
---
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate, Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery and
School of Zoology, University of Tasmania Home contact: PO Box 101,
Penguin, Tasmania, Australia 7316
(03) 64371195; 61 3 64371195

Tasmanian Multipedes
http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/zoology/multipedes/mulintro.html