Collecting insects in the Caribbean

Maarten Christenhusz maachr at UTU.FI
Fri Apr 28 12:27:41 CDT 2006

Dear Nico,

I have experience collecting plants on various Caribbean islands. I am not sure how easy it is to obtain insect collecting permits, however.

In the case of Jamaica, I would contact the Natural History Division of the
Institute of Jamaica
12-16 East Street
Kingston
Jamaica
http://www.instituteofjamaica.org.jm/index_b.html

My contact there is Tracy Commock, who will certainly be able to help you further.
nhd.ioj at mail.infochan.com

For the French Antilles (Guadeloupe, Martinique), you will have to contact the Office national des Forets. The islands are officially part of France, and so French law applies. It would probably be appreciated if you will deposit a specimen in Paris.

Office National des Forêts
Jardin botanique - BP 648
97109 Basse Terre Cedextel 05.90.99.28.99 fax: 05.90.81.48.77
email: conservatoire.guadeloupe at wanadoo.fr
This applies especially for the protected areas of course: http://www.ecotourisme.org/gwad/aire_protegees.htm

Other islands could be possible as well, but I have no recent experience in getting permits there. I know that many of the British West Indies, especially Dominica, can be difficult and costly to obtain collection permits. Mind that all the islands are different political entities and that for every country you need to apply for a separate collection AND export permit.

Hope this will help you a little further.

Maarten Christenhusz
Dept. of Biology
University of Turku
20014 Turku