[Taxacom] Use of parentheses

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Sat Apr 29 00:57:23 CDT 2006

The score so far on replies (on and off list) is 3:2 in favour of

Bus xus (Smith, 1900)

where the original name is

Aus (Bus) xus Smith, 1900.

This brings the current total to 3:3 if you include me, since I've been
reasoning that Bus is a genus-group name, and since the species hasn't left
Bus, there is no need for parentheses. It's still not clear to me from the
replies so far that the Code gives unambiguous advice in this case.

As I said when I posted the query, I've seen both Bus xus Smith, 1900 and
Bus xus (Smith, 1900) used in my specialty group, in one case by the same
author. What's the situation in other parts of the taxonomic literature?

I should add that early contributors to my group's literature (70-100 years
ago) tended to be a bit vague on subgeneric names. These were erected and
defined as subgenera, but then used as genera in keys and later
publications. It's often very difficult to say who elevated a particular
subgenus to genus, and when.
---
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate, Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery
and School of Zoology, University of Tasmania
(03) 64371195; 61 3 64371195

Tasmanian Multipedes
http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/zoology/multipedes/mulintro.html
Spatial data basics for Tasmania