[Taxacom] Cladifications are NOT classifications (MonaLisafrowning)

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Aug 1 12:38:39 CDT 2006

I think it's partly semantics, and partly philosophical differences.

Most of us probably have a mutual understanding of what a "phylogeny" is,
and what "nomenclature" is.

The semantic problem revolves around the mapping of the word
"classification" to either/both of these two things.

The philosophical differences revolve more around the direct relationships
between "phylogeny" and "nomenclature" (irrespective of how one defines the
term "classification").

Rich

P.S. I'm definitely on board with your proposed solution to the quagmire!