[Taxacom] Cladifications are NOT classifications (MonaLisadrooling)

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 1 21:49:38 CDT 2006

Barry,
    I completely agree that it depends on the method of analysis (including
character selection, weighting, and especially proper phylogenetic rooting).
  Producing a consensus classification of birds (especially fossil taxa) was
extremely difficult.  There are many dozens of competing cladograms for all
the various sections of the phylogeny for taxa in the increasingly long
dinosaur to bird transition.

     But frankly, this pales in comparison to the problems I have predicted
in the classification of molluscs (and gastropods in particular).
Relatively speaking, one needs to TOTALLY rerooted those phylogenies and
produce classifications which will be COMPLETELY different from ANY produced
in the past.  Mollusc phylogenies and classifications are a total nightmare,
so much so that even the problematic arthropods take a second seat in how
totally messed up their phylogenies currently are.
   ----Ken Kinman