[Taxacom] Cladifications are NOT classifications(MonaLisadrooling)

Edwards, G.B. edwardg at doacs.state.fl.us
Wed Aug 2 08:58:24 CDT 2006

To abstract the abstract: a classification is an interpretation of phylogeny using scientific nomenclature, and some people think it's useful to do this for various reasons.  My point was that it's the phylogeny we're really interested in moreso than the nomenclature we apply to it in the form of a classification.  At least that's my interest, and maybe that of Rich.
[P.S. I'm definitely on board with your proposed solution to the quagmire!
Rich: Well, that's two of us.  Two more and the snowball will be rolling!]

Yes, of course I was being idealistic in my previous comments Barry.  But doesn't it seem feasible (especially with the introduction of molecular analysis into the equation) that eventually there will be less and less variation in phylogenetic hypothesis generation as our techniques are refined?  Unlike the classification arguments that go on ad infinitum.

However, perhaps I should have proposed a moratorium on classification rather than an abandonment.  It just annoys me sometimes to see all the classifications of higher taxa, and the revisions of the same higher classifications, then the rerevisions of the same higher classifications, etc., when the planetary biodiversity is being destroyed daily without even being documented as to what once existed.  Okay, I admit to being a bottom-up taxonomist.  Not that I don't like seeing a good higher classification, but gosh, some people need to get a life in the real biosphere!  Just my opinion.  Tip of my hat to those of you who have managed to do both.
Best, GB
--
G. B. Edwards, Ph.D.  [Your Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman]
Curator: Arachnida (except Acari), Myriapoda, Terrestrial Crustacea, Thysanoptera
(352) 372-3505 x194; fax (352) 334-0737; edwardg at doacs.state.fl.us