[Taxacom] Cladifications are NOT classifications(MonaLisadrooling)

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 2 10:52:27 CDT 2006

    I think Farnz has it backwards.  The "frequent revision of Linnaean
names" is definitely NOT a good thing.  Dinosaur systematics has become a
true "Babel" of conflicting taxonomies.  The large number of analyses and
phylogenies (cladograms) is wonderful, but the premature translation of
those conflicting phylogenies into formal classifications has ruined the
taxonomy.  I prefer to store relatively unstable information in the coding.
Workers with different phylogenies could have different codings of the same
basic classification (a stable listing of included taxa).  Better to debate
over codings rather than prematurely and frequently changing the Linnaean
names.  Many of the new dinosaur clade names are already being abandoned
because they were based on homoplasies, and the same thing is going to
happen to increasingly cladified mammalian classifications (even those based
on molecular data).

    Informal names for such speculative "clades" are a better alternative
(e.g., bullatosaurs or clade "X + Y", not Bullatosauria), but the mad rush
to establish priority for PhyloCode names is unfortunately far stronger than
any calls for a moratorium.  And don't expect molecular data to stabilize
the situation any time soon, because it is also plagued by problems of
homoplasy, misrooting, and other complications in phylogeny construction.
Sorry Farnz, but we need a bigger gap, not a smaller one.  Informal names
would do just as well at ensuring community-wide access to the products of
systematic research, and it would avoid a lot of instability, confusion, and
unnecessary formal names (many of which don't turn out to be clades anyway).
  Thank goodness, cladistic botany has largely avoided the mistakes made by
many vertebrate paleontologists and herpetologists.  Peter Stevens'
angiosperm cladograms are very detailed, but he doesn't formally name all
those new clades.  That's an excellent example of how it SHOULD be done.
   -----Ken Kinman