[Taxacom] Cladifications are NOTclassifications(MonaLisadrooling)

Thomas G. Lammers lammers at uwosh.edu
Wed Aug 2 14:04:53 CDT 2006

At 01:45 PM 8/2/2006, John Grehan wrote:

> From what little I have seen of dinosaur studies it seems that the
> quality of their character delineation and documentation in the rush to
> generate phylogenies seems to be just as bad as often in hominid and
> hominoid studies, so the mess Ken describes does not surprise me.

There seems to be a tight correlation.  The more "popular" a taxon, i.e.,
the more likely it is to be covered by the mainstream press, the more
likely its students are to be in a great rush to upset apple carts.  Press
coverage can be a two-edged sword.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor and Curator of the Herbarium (OSH)
Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu