[Taxacom] Taxonomic Content Management Systems

Vince Smith vsmithuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 7 17:33:48 CDT 2006

Dear all,

My colleagues and I at the Natural History Museum, London are
interested in reviewing the functionality of various web based
"taxonomic content management systems" that are being used for
holding and editing integrated information about taxa (e.g. specimen,
DNA, image, taxon name, etc). Specifically, we are interested in
those that have some kind of web interface for presenting and
(preferably) editing these data. We know of some examples of such
systems (e.g. Orthoptera Species File, http://osf2x.orthoptera.org/;
Specify, http://www.specifysoftware.org/ etc). Indeed, some are in
development at the museum. However, we are quite sure that are many
not on our list. If you are involved in developing or using such a
system I would appreciate a brief message about it, along with a web
link to the database. Please reply to me off list, and if there is
sufficient interest I'll consolidate the results and post them back
to everybody.

Thanks for your time and apologies for cross postings,

Vince Smith

Dr. Vincent S. Smith
Cybertaxonomist
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road,
London, SW7 5BD, UK

Tel: +44 (0) 207 942 5127
Fax: +44 (0) 207 942 5661
E-mail: v.smith at nhm.ac.uk
Web: http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~vsmith/  (THIS WILL CHANGE SOON)
iChat Video Conferencing: vsmithuk at mac.com (invitation only)
Skype: vsmithuk; or SkypeIn London: +44 (0)207 558 8950