[Taxacom] Nomenclature vs taxonomy et al.

Neil Sarkar sarkar at amnh.org
Sat Aug 19 11:12:11 CDT 2006

Nomenclatures are just the names themselves, without regard to how
the named entities are related to each other. This is how the terms
are used in biomedical informatics as well as in biodiversity
studies. However, as you rightly point out the terms are "lumped"
together by ASTM -- very inconsistent with how the terms are used by
informaticians (probably a reflection that many informaticians don't
really know the difference...).

Anyway, Taxonomies posit how entities are related to each other. The
biomedical informatics domain has many more taxonomies -- which have
evolved into "ontologies" -- than the biodiversity domain. Our
taxonomies are now referred to as "Alpha-taxonomies," probably
because the first taxonomies that were ever described had to do with
organizing life.

Jim Cimino's chapter in the recent edition of the text book (chapter
7), "Biomedical Informatics Computer Applications in Health Care and
Biomedicine," has a good description of the distinction between
terminologies, vocabularies, and ontologies. Also, Jim recently
edited an issue in the Journal of Biomedical Informatics that covers
a lot of the distinctions:

Journal of Biomedical Informatics
Volume 39, Issue 3, Pages 249-378 (June 2006)
Biomedical Ontologies
Edited by James J. Cimino and Barry Smith

Anita Burgun and Olivier Bodenreider also have an article that you
might find informative:

Aspects of the taxonomic relation in the biomedical domain
Formal Ontology in Information Systems  archive
Proceedings of the international conference on Formal Ontology in
Information Systems - Volume 2001
Ogunquit, Maine, USA
Pages: 222 - 233
Year of Publication: 2001