[Taxacom] Sahelanthropus NOT a hominid

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 19 20:52:18 CDT 2006

Dear All,
     A very convincing challenge to the hominid status of Sahelanthropus has
recently been published.  This based on a more comprehensive comparison with
other Miocene apes, and in particular the canine morphology and the base of
the skull.  The latter is the basis for declaring Sahelanthropus bipedal and
has been disputed ever since it was first put forward (and even more
strongly disputed in this latest paper).

     Unfortunately, this still does not settle the precise placement of
Sahelanthropus in Family Pongidae, but I am increasingly tempted to slide
this genus down a couple of clades so that it branches off below both
Gorilla and Pan.  Such a placement would make much more sense
as likely.  However, I am certainly not ruling out having it branch off
between Gorilla and Pan, or even as a proto-gorilla within the Gorilla clade
itself.  Anyway, here a link to a discussion by one of the authors, which
contains a link leading to a PDF of the recently-published paper:

http://www.uwyo.edu/news/showrelease.asp?id=9461

    -----Cheers,
           Ken Kinman