[Taxacom] Authorities for trinomials

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Thu Aug 24 16:38:14 CDT 2006

From: "Richard Zander" <Richard.Zander at mobot.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 11:11 PM

The examples were heterotypic.

Aus bus var. bus Smith 1820 and
Aus bus var. bus Jones 1821 are contrived as heterotypic homonyms.

***
Well, this can not be. Following Art 27.1 (given force by Art 32.1.b) such
heterotypic synonyms are not validly published. Thus, they are not names in
the sense of the ICBN. There is only one Aus bus var. bus (no author)
* * *

The idea of providing the author citation for the binomial part of a
trinomial is commonly given as distinguishing which homonym the trinomial is
an infraspecies of.

This is, in my opinion, nonsense because moving Aus bus var. cus Miller from
association with Aus bus var. bus Smith to Aus bus var. bus Jones does not
involve a new combination. Also, if we had two heterotypic names,

Aus bus var. cus Miller 1822 and
Aus bus var. cus Liebowicz 1823,

these would be homonyms even if they were given as

Aus bus Jones var. cus Miller 1822 and
Aus bus Smith var. cus Liebowicz 1823.

***
Yes, they are homonyms regardless of the author citation of the species.
PvR
* * *

There has been exchanges on Taxacom in the past regarding trinomials. Bad
practice, IMO, continues anyway.

******************************
Richard H. Zander
NOTE: NEW PHONE NUMBER 314-577-0276