[Taxacom] Authorities for trinomials

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Thu Aug 24 17:18:51 CDT 2006

Yes, the binomial Aus bus published last is invalid. It remains a
homonym, however, and placing authority names after the first two words
of a trinomial is commonly done to distinguish WHICH binomial the
infraspecies refers to.

I assert this is superfluous, because not a nomenclatural but a
taxonomic problem.

Homonyms may not be names (Art. 6.3) but may be conserved (14.9) over
earlier homonyms and thus become a name. Note that Art. 53.1 seems to
contradict 6.3, such that we have illegitimate names that are not names.
Why did I start this thread? Nomenclature is not necessarily logical but
is law-based, and the arguments are twisty-turny . . .

R.