[Taxacom] Authorities for trinomials

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Fri Aug 25 05:55:10 CDT 2006

You have lost me completely. As Art 6.3 states a name in the ICBN must be
validly published. If it is not validly published it does not exist (to the
Code): valid publication is a minimum requirement.  Strictly speaking there can be no such thing as an "invalid name" as this is a contradictio-in-terminis. Certainly a name not validly published (an "invalid name") cannot be conserved: it does not exist in the first place.

Art 53.1 does not contradict Art 6.3 in any way. However, once upon a time Art 53.1 was changed, so that it is no longer true that any later homonym is illegitimate, which is confusing enough all by itself.

On the whole, the ICBN is quite logical, but this logic applies in its own separate universe. I have long since stopped believing that the ICBN is easy to understand: it takes a great deal of work to become familiar with it.
PvR