[Taxacom] Authorities for trinomials

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Aug 25 16:19:08 CDT 2006

I agree this seems to be the intent of including authorship (as per the
structure of both major Codes); but assignment of Code-correct authorship,
and rendering of authorship in printed form (i.e., in publications) are not
quite the same thing.  The former involves specific rules; whereas the
latter involves (often inconsistent) convention of practice.  I agree that
the authorship is not intended (by the Codes) to point to the original
description per se; but certainly it is used that way by many biologists --
and more often than not, it can be a useful clue. And, of course, it's
useful for distinguishing homonyms.

Aloha,
Rich