[Taxacom] base alignment

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at alumni.wesleyan.edu
Tue Aug 29 11:19:47 CDT 2006

On 29 Aug 2006 at 9:28, John Grehan wrote:
> > But for
> > everybody I know "phenetic" means classifying on the basis of overall
> > similarity of taxa, not selecting compatible characters.
>
> I agree with this definition. And according to that definition cladistic
> analysis of molecular characters appears to be an analysis of characters
> established through overall similarity of base substitutions and gaps.

How ya figure?

All the molecular cladists I know (myself included) would be very
surprised to hear that they have been doing phenetics all these years.
I guess they wasted all that time aligning sequences in order to
establish homologies.  I think Dave Swofford would also be interested to
hear that parsimony becomes phenetic when run on a molecular matrix.

Karl