[Taxacom] Who uses biodiversity data and why? GBIF Responses

taxacom2 at achapman.org taxacom2 at achapman.org
Tue Dec 5 18:30:32 CST 2006

Work I have done, Donat, would suggest that retrospectively georeferenced data is generally in the range of uncertainty of 3-10km (with some worse and occasionally far worse)

Your post reminds me of a request I once received from a major telecom company wanting to know which side of the road they should lay their cable from Sydney to Melbourne to affect the least number of threatened taxa.

It will be a long time before we can answer such questions if ever.

There are examples where data from GBIF are, and will, be usefull in conservation planning.  To explain fully here is very difficult, but already such data is being used in Papua New Guinea where the majority of collections from there are not held locally, but are spread throughout various institutions in Australia (especially the West Australian Museum, Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney and the Australian National Herbarium and Insect Collections in Canberra) and elsewhere around the World, including  Kew and the Natural History Museum in London as well as a number of US institutions.  Without those data, it has proved very difficult to make robust conservation decisions in that country.  Tools are now being used to integrate those data to look at priority areas.  Such data are extremely valuable at the meso scale, but local and on-ground decisions will still be needed at the micro level to determnin the boundaries of such conservation actions.  The global and regional/local must go hand in hand.

Another example of using global data such as available through GBIF is in the determination of areas for conservation of the Wild Relatives of Crop Plants.  With global change (including climate change), such conservation actions are essential and can only be done on a global scale (or at least large regional scale) for many taxa. Work currently going on involves, Potatoes, Wheat, Rice, Apples, Walnuts, Coffee, Pistachios and many, many other taxa.

There are many other examples where the taxa will become increasingly useful - both observational data as well as specimen data as mentioned by Meredith in her lengthy and excellent response.

Indeed, with some of the taxa Bob is using, global data is likely to be of little value, but that doesn't mean that it is not valuable, if not essential, for other taxonomic groups.

Conservation is importanty for more than rare and threatened taxa - especially in a world of changing climate regimes.

AnotheOne such example where such data are beginning to prove valuable is in managing the spread and control of invasive species.  By using collections in native ranges, climate profiles can be built up which can then aid in determining areas of most effective control.  This is an issue of conservation that is working at the global scale, and will do so increasingly. An example is in the spread of Cactoblastus cactoprum in Mexico and southern USA, where data from Australia has been used to determine areas of likely spread.

Amazing what one can do while sitting at an airport awaiting a delayed plane - thank goodness for airport lounges!

Arthur D. Chapman
Toowoomba

=== message truncated ===