[Taxacom] Article on poaching newly described species in current issue of The Chronicle of Higher Education

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 17 23:46:55 CDT 2006

     I would certainly agree that it depends on what kind of organism you
are describing, and how accessible it is.  More so the former, since I doubt
there would be little demand for a new species of slime mold or cockroach,
even if the type locality was readily accessible.

     As for repairing the damage that has already been done, that Chinese
gecko is apparently easy to breed (and the prices have gone down).  It would
think it would be relatively easy to reintroduce into the wild if needed
(far easier, than say, the reintroduction of whooping cranes into eastern
North America has been).  I don't know how successful breeding the newt from
Laos has been, but we apparently don't even yet know if the poaching has put
much of a dent into its population anyway.

     Keeping published type locality information more vague (but the details
still available to qualified researchers on a need-to-know basis) would be a
good idea for some species.  There was some poaching of the bumblebee bat
(Craseonycteris), described back in the 1970's, but I am not sure if that
has been more of a problem than habitat destruction.  Would be nice to have
a breeding program (governmental, not poaching!) for that species in case it
goes extinct in the wild.  After all, there is only one extant species in
Family Craseonycteridae, so it would be the extinction of an entire Family
(thus a bigger chunk of biodiversity than in most cases).  Luckily they
aren't very attractive and wouldn't make good pets.

  ------Ken Kinman