photo manipulation

Fabio Moretzsohn fabio at FALCON.TAMUCC.EDU
Fri Mar 24 14:56:47 CST 2006


Some people color monochrome (grayscale) SEM or TEM photos in Photoshop (or
similar) to emphasize a certain structure of interest, or just because it
looks artistic. There are different ways to colorize a black and white
photo, and maybe there are specialized software for this purpose.

A researcher at the University of Hawaii, Tina Carvalho does some nice
artistic colorizations of SEM and TEM micrographs colorized in Photoshop:

My two cents.


Fabio Moretzsohn, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Harte Research Institute of Gulf of Mexico Studies
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
6300 Ocean Drive, Unit 5869
Corpus Christi, TX 78412-5869
Phone: (361) 825-3230
Fax: (361) 825-2050
fabio at

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul E. Hargraves" <pharg at GSO.URI.EDU>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 11:07 AM
Subject: [TAXACOM] photo manipulation

> Taxacomers:
> Changing the recent threads abruptly, I am wrestling with a problem
> I'm sure others have dealt with.  One often sees former black/white
> photos reproduced in various science magazines in blazing color, esp.
> SEM & TEM photos.  I assume this is done with Photoshop in some way.
> Can someone give details on how this is done?
> --
> Paul E. Hargraves
> "Schau auf zu den Sternen, hab acht auf die Gassen" [-W. Raabe, 1831-1910]
> "Eamus, O Celtae; Eamus, O Tibialia rubentia" [anonymous, 64 B.C.]

More information about the Taxacom mailing list