[Taxacom] Fw: Use of parentheses

Denis Brothers Brothers at ukzn.ac.za
Wed May 3 01:53:44 CDT 2006

The relevant Article (51.3) refers to "a species-group name" (i.e.
species or subspecies) being "combined with a generic [note - not
'genus-group'] name other than the original one" requiring the use of
parentheses around the name of the Author. The Glossary also makes it
clear that "generic name" is the same thing as "genus name" or "name of
a genus" - and so does not include subgenus. Article 51.3.2 states that
the use of parentheses "is not affected by the presence of a subgeneric
name". So, subgenera are irrelevant here. When originally proposed, the
genus was Aus and the species has been transferred to Bus, therefore
parentheses are required.

Denis Brothers

>>> "Bob Mesibov" <mesibov at southcom.com.au> 2006/05/03 12:04 AM >>>
This message was sent to both the old and new Taxacom addresses but
does not
appear to have been received. Third time lucky?