[Taxacom] Use of parentheses

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Wed May 3 19:12:32 CDT 2006

Many thanks for the several replies to this query. It certainly seems that
the Code requires parentheses in this case.

For the curious, there are a number of examples in my specialty group. Here
are two, from the same 1924 paper:

Antichiropus (Solaenodolichopus) teres Verhoeff, 1924 (type species of
Solaenodolichopus by subsequent designation)
Australiosoma (Paraustraliosoma) malandense Verhoeff, 1924 (type species of
Paraustraliosoma by monotypy)

Both subgenera were subsequently elevated to genus, and the 2 type species
now appear in the literature as

Solaenodolichopus teres (Verhoeff, 1924)
Paraustraliosoma malandense Verhoeff, 1924

I will add parentheses to the second name in my next checklist.

Again, many thanks.
---
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate, Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery
and School of Zoology, University of Tasmania
(03) 64371195; 61 3 64371195

Tasmanian Multipedes
http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/zoology/multipedes/mulintro.html
Spatial data basics for Tasmania