[Taxacom] fungal material sought...

Dr. Rodham E. Tulloss retamanita at comcast.net
Fri May 5 13:09:51 CDT 2006

Dear TAXACOM colleagues,

For purposes of both traditional morphological study and molecular
evaluation, Ben Wolfe (Pringle Lab, Harvard) and I are seeking material
of the agaric genus Amanita subsect. Vittadiniae Bas.  The material
should be well-preserved, include at least one mature, but not senile
fruiting body, and be collected "relatively" recently (certainly not
before 1970).

If there exist photographs of a collection and field notes, we ask that
you provide us with this documentation in scanned or otherwise computer
usable forms if possible.

We are particularly interested in taxa from the Southern and Eastern
Hemispheres.  A listing of the taxa currently recognized (some
undiscovered taxonomic synonymies are possible) is provided below.  It
is not necessary that the taxa sent be correctly identified to species,
solely to subsect.  But there should be enough material in good
condition and enough documentation to make correct determination possible.

Many of these taxa occur in areas in which there are no obvious woody
plants.  Plant life may be entirely seasonal as well, so that the fungi
may have been collected in what appeared to be completely barren land.

The mycorrhizal status of the species may seem questionable to the
collector.  Field identifications (even some publications) may place the
species in a lepiotaceous genus in error because of their general
appearance and their habitat.

For more about the group of fungi of interest, we suggest viewing the
the species page at the following URL and the species pages that are
within a few links from links to species appearing at this URL:

http://eticomm.net/~ret/amanita/species/vittadin.html

With our thanks in advance for your efforts.  Note: If you have a
colleague who may be able to assist us, please forward this email to
her/him.

Very best,

Rod Tulloss and Ben Wolfe

Species currently assigned to subsect. Vittadiniae:

albofloccosa
ameghinoi
armillariiformis
aureofloccosa