[Taxacom] Homonym of animal in protozoa

B.J.Tindall bti at dsmz.de
Mon May 8 09:46:41 CDT 2006

Given the fact that there are only about 100 homonyms which affect
prokaryotes this sounds like a fairly realistic figure. We (the
Bacteriological Code) now ban the creation of any new homonyms, It is,
unfortunately not always easy to find complete lists of names, but we do
our best, making reference to ING, Index Fungorum, Zoological Record
listings. Microcyclus is a known homonym under the Bacteriological Code and
is illegtimate, the name which has replaced it is Ancylobacter. Some other
homonyms know in prokaryote nomenclature have also been replaced (Pirella
-> Pirellula).
Brian

At 09:40 08.05.06 -0500, Thomas G. Lammers wrote:
>At 09:22 AM 5/8/2006, Charles Hussey wrote:
>>David Remsen at uBIO is the person best placed to compile a list of
>>genus-level homonyms. I am hoping to do so shortly. From data available on
>>the Species 2000 Annual checklists and elsewhere, there are at least 5,400
>>genus-level homonyms amongst Animalia, Plantae and Fungi. So, not a trivial
>>issue once you start creating portals that search checklists across
>>different kingdoms.
>
>Somewhere (probably when BioCode was being debated, perhaps even here) I
>came across the fact that there were just seven generic names common to all
>three Codes: Catenococcus, Kingella, Microcyclus, Moorella, Morganella,
>Rhodococcus, Rothia.
>

>Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.
>
>Associate Professor and Curator of the Herbarium (OSH)
>Department of Biology and Microbiology
>University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
>Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA
>
>e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
>phone:      920-424-1002
>fax:           920-424-1101
>
>Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and
>biogeography of the Campanulaceae s. lat.
>
>Webpages:
>http://www.uwosh.edu/departments/biology/Lammers.htm
>http://www.uwosh.edu/departments/biology/herbarium/herbarium.html
>http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Resort/7156/lammers.html

* Dr.B.J.Tindall      E-MAIL bti at dsmz.de                           *
* DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH *
* Mascheroder Weg 1b, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany                *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 0 (general)                                    *
* Tel.: ++ 531 2616 224 (direct)                                   *
* Fax:  ++ 531 2616 418                                            *
* Homepage: http://www.dsmz.de/index.html                          *
* E-MAIL: contact at dsmz.de (general enquiries)                      *
*         sales at dsmz.de (sales)                                    *