[Taxacom] copyright, search engine and the future of publishing

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon May 15 03:42:49 CDT 2006

In case people are puzzled by what they see when viewing Proceratium
google in iSpecies
(http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/ispecies/?
q=Proceratium+google), and can't quite see why Donat is so excited,
iSpecies used to display the original taxonomic description, and
current geographic distribution for some ant taxa. However, the server
running iSpecies got hacked
(http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2006/04/darwin-hacked.html), and so far
I've only managed to restore the original iSpecies search service, not
the ant data.

I'll try and get the ant data back up soon. The major cause of the
delay -- apart from sheer lack of time-- is that the new server has
more recent version of the operating system and associated software,
and it takes time to port my code to this environment.

Regards

Rod

On 15 May 2006, at 09:00, Donat Agosti wrote:

> Here
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/14/magazine/14publishing.html?
> ei=5087%0A&
> en=e5359b8aa2308790&ex=1147838400&pagewanted=all
>  is a compelling argument for all of us to go and scan in a concerted
> effort all our reprints and make them open access. Better is even to
> ocr
> it and some simple tags, so machine can begin to read out descriptions,
> using tags such as taxmlit or taxonx
> (http://antbase.org/databases/xml_publications.htm). Having this, we
> will have tools making use of it, such as ispecies.
> http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/ispecies/?
> q=Proceratium+google&su
> bmit=Go or ubio.
>

> Dr. Donat Agosti
> Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History and Smithsonian
> Institution
>
> Email: agosti at amnh.org
> Web: http://antbase.org
> Skype: agostileu