[Taxacom] New monkey from Brazil

Richard Petit r.e.petit at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 17 17:37:57 CDT 2006

There is a big diference between "available" and "valid."   Determination of
availability is objective; the validity of a name is subjective.   An
earlier message took the position that the name was not available as it was
based on a photograph and I posted a reply stating that I think the name is
available.

The description based on a photo may be poor science, and there is a lot of
very poor science being published, but poor science does not affect
availability.  Systematists working with monkeys) will have to contend with
the new species name according to their taxonomic judgement.

dick p.