[Taxacom] LED Dissecting Scope Lamp

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at alumni.wesleyan.edu
Tue May 23 11:17:23 CDT 2006

On 23 May 2006 at 10:26, Richard Zander wrote:
> I've found an alternative to buying expensive tungsten filament bulbs
> for dissecting scopes, which might interest the more parsimonious of us.
> See:
>
> http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/meth/led.htm

Sam Droege posted instructions for making a light source from an LED
flashlight a few months ago on another list.  It sounds like these would
be a good improvement over the poorly-built, $300+ fiber optic light
sources that seem to predominate and frequently drive me crazy.  Someone
else mentioned that the light from a 27W compact fluorescent (the coiled
type), while requiring a bulky stand, was the best ever for looking at
insect surface sculpture.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually gotten around to trying either of these.

Karl
Karl Magnacca
ESPM Dept., UC-Berkeley
137 Mulford Hall