[Taxacom] LED Dissecting Scope Lamp

Fabio Moretzsohn fabio at falcon.tamucc.edu
Tue May 23 11:43:23 CDT 2006

I have used an LED light ring illuminator with a ring adapter for a
dissecting microscope. The unit I have has 56 LEDs, which I find quite good,
but now there are others with more LEDs. I do not know the light
temperature, but it is on the cool rather than warm side. There is a
variable intensity control, and the light can be dimmed a bit, but not too
much. You can find some units on eBay for reasonable prices.

I also found an adapter to use this LED ring with my digital camera (an old
Nikon Coolpix 5400), and that works MUCH better than the original LED ring
made by Nikon (which has only 12 LEDs, and a lot dimmer). It was difficult
to find the right adapter, since Nikon would not disclose the thread
diameter, but I finally found one that works fine.

The LED ring illuminator works well, and I highly recommend it. However, in
some cases a point source is better, like the option described by Richard
below.

Fabio

Fabio Moretzsohn, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Harte Research Institute of Gulf of Mexico Studies
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
6300 Ocean Drive, Unit 5869
Corpus Christi, TX 78412-5869
Phone: (361) 825-3230