[Taxacom] LED Dissecting Scope Lamp

Fabio Moretzsohn fabio at falcon.tamucc.edu
Tue May 23 13:15:56 CDT 2006

I bought the LED light ring at eBay, over a year ago, from Precision*World. I used the search terms "LED ring microscope" and found several models, including one that looks just like mine, which is on sale for $169 + 15 S&H (see the following URL: http://tinyurl.com/me9zn).

The specifications below were copied from the description at eBay:

" You are bidding on a 56 bright white LED bulb ring light kit for stereo microscopes. The kit includes a 56-LEDs ring light with 2-3/8" (60 mm) inner diameter, a 120-220V power adapter and a ring adapter with 1-7/8" (48 mm in diameter) thread. With variable intensity control, it provides cool, even, intense and focused shadow-free illumination. It is an ideal durable cool light source for microscopes. This kit comes with one year warranty against manufacturing defects. It is brand new in original box. Its retail value is above $400.

Features and Specifications:
  a.. 56 bright white LED bulbs.
  b.. 100,000 hours of life.
  c.. Intense and focused shadow-free illumination.
  d.. Variable intensity control.
  e.. Optimum light range: 2-3/8" - 5-1/2" (60 to 140 mm).
  f.. Power input: 110-240V, 50-60HZ, auto switching.
  g.. Fits 35-59 mm mount rings."
I also bought a 0.5X Barlow Lens ($50) from the same vendor, that attaches to the objective of the dissecting scope (mounting thread 1"7/8 (48 mm)), doubling the working distance and reducing the magnification power, thus increasing the field of view. This is great to use with larger specimens that otherwise would be too large for your dissecting scope. I found a similar lens on sale on eBay:  http://tinyurl.com/offr5.

I can't find the information on the vendor for adapter for the Coolpix camera, but I bought it from a camera shop. The diameter of the Coolpix 5400 lens thread is 46 mm, so I needed a 46 to 48 mm adapter to be able to attach the LED ring adapter (48 mm diameter).

Hope this helps.

Fabio

*PS - I do not work for the vendor listed above, but I did buy from them and had no problems.