[Taxacom] To clade or not to clade

Barry Roth barry_roth at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 23:49:15 CDT 2006

I have heard (and used) it in discussions with pals and colleagues -- generally in situations where the rules of formal syntax and diction were, er, relaxed.  But it is a good word ("taxon A clades with taxon B in this cladistic analysis"), on the model of "taxon C clusters with taxon D in this cluster analysis."  Cladistic analysis is not a clustering procedure, so it is incorrect to use the verb "to cluster" in that context.  I also like the word (did I coin it, or just dream that I did?) "concladal" -- meaning, obviously, "belonging to the same clade."  It follows the model of "congeneric" and "confamilial" but without attribution of any particular taxonomic rank.

  Barry Roth

Don.Colless at csiro.au wrote:

Dear Ken,

You have, I think, just created linguistic history. I'm not aware of any previous use of the verb "to clade". As Dr Johnson might have said "A good word, Sir".

Don Colless,
Div of Entomology, CSIRO,
GPO Box 1700,
Canberra. 2601.