[Taxacom] To clade or not to clade

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Wed May 24 07:08:31 CDT 2006

I went to a meeting of the Classification Society and took the pre-meeting cluster analysis tutorial. At question time, I asked the guys running the tutorial (the then president of the Society, and Pierre Legendre) if they thought maximum parsimony was a clustering technique.

They looked at each other disconcertedly, mumbled, then allowed as how, yes, it was. I did get the feeling that they were indulging in some hegemonizing, but they have a point. Cladograms are not ultrametric, but certainly cluster. Given the many kinds of cluster analysis (compare k-means), why not?

******************************
Richard H. Zander
Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299