[Taxacom] Concladic or concladal? (To clade or not to clade)

Barry Roth barry_roth at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 17:28:58 CDT 2006

Because I speak English, not Greek, and -al is readily understood as an attributive suffix in English, the issue of a Greek root is not merely academic, it is irrelevant.  Apart from the freedom which I as the coiner (if indeed I am that august and front-running individual) enjoy in making up words as I please -- and Humpty-Dumpty had something to say on a related matter -- I like the ululating flow of "concladal" better than the click of "concladic":

  "Who was that concladal I saw you with last night?"

  "That was no concladal, that was my sister-group."

  Cheers back,

  Barry

Ken Kinman <kinman at hotmail.com> wrote:
  I have certainly seen the word contaxic, but not "concladal".
However, since the root comes from the Greek "klados", wouldn't the
preferable spelling perhaps be "concladic"? I'm not sure.
----Cheers,
Ken Kinman