[Taxacom] To clade or not to clade

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at earthlink.net
Wed May 24 23:25:48 CDT 2006

On 2006-05-23 21:49, Barry Roth wrote:
> I also like the word (did I coin it, or just dream
> that I did?) "concladal" -- meaning, obviously, "belonging to the
> same clade."  It follows the model of "congeneric" and "confamilial"
> but without attribution of any particular taxonomic rank.

Assuming a single origin of extant Earth life (and the evidence for that
is good), any two species are concladal. "Congeneric" works explicitly
because of the rank; "concladal" works only if the clade is specified.

Web Coordinator, Cal Poly Pomona                 +1 909 979 6371
Professor, Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4062