[Taxacom] To clade or not to clade

Barry Roth barry_roth at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 11:33:23 CDT 2006

There are other syntactical uses for an adjective than as the predicate adjective of a clause ("taxa A and B are concladical").  An adjective may simply precede the noun it modifies ("these two concladical taxa ...").  The latter usage is likely to be more efficient than an alternative using the verb ("these two taxa that clade together" or "these two together-clading taxa").  No need to limit our linguistic tool kit.  ;^)

  Cheer,

  Barry

Ken Kinman <kinman at hotmail.com> wrote:
    Coming full circle, I'm fairly sure I will continue to prefer using
clade (or clading) as a verb, rather than using an adjective (concladic or concladal). Therefore, "Sahelanthropus and Gorilla might clade together", rather than "Sahelanthropus and Gorilla might be concladic." On the other hand, if I were suggesting that these two genera should be combined (which I am not), it would be easier to use an adjective and say "Sahelanthropus and Gorilla are congeneric". I actually like the "click" sound of the word congeneric (even if "congeneral" might have been more soothing to the ear).
:-)
-----Cheers,
Ken Kinman