[Taxacom] Help with Iberian, Canarian Spanish

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Sat May 27 13:16:07 CDT 2006

Dear Taxacomers,

I would like to request assistance from anyone whose native tougne is
Spanish.  I as trying to determine and explain the gender of a
zoological generic name.  The name Verodes.

My analysis to date is:

Article 30 (ICZN 1999) governs the determination of gender for
generic-groups names.  Our search of standard Latin and Greek
dictionaries indicates that /Verodes/ belongs to neither language,
making the name fall under Art. 30.2. Casey did not provide a derivation
nor any hint of his intentions on the derivation or gender of this name,
rendering Art. 30.2.2 inoperative.  Because Casey failed to intimate his
intentions for the gender of the name by the endings of the species
names included (he simply lists /Nosoderma inaequalis/ as the type
species, never actually using the species epithet in combination with
/Verodes/), Art. 30.2.3 is equally useless in this case.  However,
"verodes" is the plural form of a noun in Canarian and Iberian Spanish
that refers to the clumps of plants that grow between the tiles of
roofs.  Thus, under Art. 30.2.1 ("If a name reproduces exactly a noun
having a gender in a European language ... it takes the gender of that
noun."), /Verodes/ takes the gender of that noun, which is masculine.

I cannot find Verodes in my Spanish-English dictionaries, which are
Latin American in focus.  Possibly, my problem is that I do not know the
singular form of verodes.  Can someone please:

1. Confirm that "verodes" is the plural form of a noun in Canarian and
Iberian Spanish that refers to the clumps of plants that grow between
the tiles of roofs.

2. Tell me the singular form of the noun.

Thank you,

Michael

NOTE NEW ADDRESS:

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

For Postal Service Delivery:            For FedEx, UPS or Freight Delivery:

Montana Entomology Collection      Montana Entomology Collection - MSU
Montana State University                Marsh Labs, Room 50
P.O. Box 173020                           1901 S. 19th Ave, Room 50
Bozeman, MT 59717-3020            Bozeman, MT 59717
USA                                              USA

(406) 994-4610 (voice)
(406) 994-6029 (FAX)
mivie at montana.edu