[Taxacom] Help with Iberian, Canarian Spanish

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Sat May 27 18:18:20 CDT 2006

*Thanks to all who have sent help with the use of Verodes in Spanish.  A
little more clarification.  The words Verodes and its seeming singular
Verodes do not appear in the "Diccionaro de la lengua espaƱola del Real
Academia EspaƱola."  Spanish is an Academy language, and a word is not a
Spanish word if the Academy does not recognize it.  I have looked
through some 22 Spanish dictionaries without finding this word.  The use
of verode for a species of plant in the Canary islands, and its origin
from aboriginal Canarian does not make it a Spanish word.  The
Zoological Code requires that the word be from a European language in
order to use that fact to establish gender.  Canarian is not a European
language, but related to Berber of North Africa (a simple look at the
map also eliminates Canarian as a European language, does it not?).

I have one reference that indicates that Verodes is used for clumps of
plants between roof tiles in Spain, but this is a web site, and can
hardly be considered authoritative.  If I can establish this usage as
correct, however, I can use the justification.  Thus, I need an Iberian
to confirm or refute this usage as a borrow word in actual Spanish.

Thanks to all who have helped, I am farther now than I was, and that is
a great help.

Michael
*

NOTE NEW ADDRESS:

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

For Postal Service Delivery:            For FedEx, UPS or Freight Delivery:

Montana Entomology Collection      Montana Entomology Collection - MSU
Montana State University                Marsh Labs, Room 50
P.O. Box 173020                           1901 S. 19th Ave, Room 50
Bozeman, MT 59717-3020            Bozeman, MT 59717
USA                                              USA

(406) 994-4610 (voice)
(406) 994-6029 (FAX)
mivie at montana.edu