[Taxacom] Life in the undergrowth by attenborough

Piotr Naskrecki p.naskrecki at conservation.org
Mon May 29 14:20:17 CDT 2006

Hi all,

I could not agree more with Donat's comments on David Attenborough's latest
series. It is the pinnacle of nature filmography, a fantastic journey into
the realm of terrestrial invertebrates. Some of the organisms and behaviors
have never been filmed before. I was particularly impressed with the
sequences showing the mating dance of garden slugs - I never knew how
beautiful and romantic these animals were. Attenborough's narration has none
of the patronizing overtone typical of many other nature documentaries
dealing with invertebrates, and he shows us quite clearly who the real
rulers of this planet are. The movie and the accompanying book of the same
title are now finally available in the US (on Amazon.com, for example), run,
don't walk to get it.

Piotr
Piotr Naskrecki, Ph. D.
Director of Invertebrate Diversity Initiative
(http://www.smallermajority.org)
Conservation International
(http://www.conservation.org)
Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University
26 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: (617) 496-8179; Fax: (617) 495-5667

"It is a quirk of human nature that people only appreciate what they
understand" M.K. Seely

Taxonomy and Collection Manager software (http://140.247.119.145/mantis)

Insect Photography (http://www.insectphotography.com)

Orthoptera Species File Online - a database of Katydids of the World Online
(http://www.tettigonia.com)

Insect Type Database at MCZ, Harvard
(http://mcz-28168.oeb.harvard.edu/mcztypedb.htm)