[Taxacom] Life in the undergrowth by attenborough

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Mon May 29 16:04:15 CDT 2006

In the special features section on DVD2 there is an interview with Mike
Salisbury talking about the story behind making the movie, new technologies
and how, among others they discovered some of the most remarkable stories,
like the lantern bugs way of avoiding being soiled with his own exudates, by
talking the scientists who are willing to share their insights. The return
is really remarkable.

Here is one story, the only one, if I am right, where a name is mentioned.

"There is this one guy who went right against this pattern [smarten up after
a hard day of field work in La Selva and chat in the communal living room
and eat dinner] sitting there at aupper with all his dirty cloth, note book,
and with a powerfull spotlight on his head. We sat with him one time, and he
turned out to be a very enthusiastic Harvard professor, called Piotr
Naskrecki, who said to us, we told what we are doing, "god you wanna go out
at night with me, there is where the action is". So, he persuaded us to go
out with him, and he persuaded us to go out with him. And truth his words,
under any bit of bark and leaf there was something he wanted to show us. But
there is one thing he just discovered. This is what is called a lantern
bug..."

Chapeau, Piotr.

Donat