[Taxacom] Life in the undergrowth by attenborough

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Tue May 30 01:39:06 CDT 2006

Dear Piotr

Hi Piotr

I can only agree with Mike. It was not my intention to accuse you at all of
self promotion. I mean it honestly, that I admire your and (everybodies)
devotion to go out and discover new behaviors, and not following the way a
lot of research is being done, from 9 to 5 within the confines of existing
research stations, which is in many cases a lot of hard work
.
It was late Richard Southwood who wrote in the introduction to his classical
'Ecological Methods' that much more would be known if scientists would go
out at night etc. And it is also my humble experience, that one needs to
follow his own nose rather than go with the pack.

That Salisbury has chosen you as an example is perfect and certainly not by
chance: 'Chapeau' simply means 'with a lot of respect'.

And together with the new techniques, these new (moving) images, including
your book, are certainly the biggest boost for familiarizing the wide world
with the rafiness and beauty of invertebrates. Microcosmos was one success,
but what Attenborough did is simply up in its own sphere.

May be, I shouldn't have made my second comment then, if it can be construed
as negative.

So, please feel proud for this, and the others, go out and get these DVDs -
I guarantee, you'll put down everything to just watch them not just once.

All the best

Donat