[Taxacom] access to the internet

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Tue May 30 08:36:44 CDT 2006

Fyi, and call for your action

Progress -- not victory... yet...

Subject: Big Win for Internet Freedom
From:    "Josh Silver, FreePress.net" <list at freepress.net>
Date:    Fri, May 26, 2006 8:34
To:      tmoritz at amnh.org

Greetings,

Thanks to your thousands of calls and letters, we took a major step forward
this week in the fight for Internet freedom.

A bipartisan majority on the House Judiciary Committee yesterday passed the
"Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act" -- a good bill that would use
antitrust law to protect Network Neutrality. Special thanks to those of you
who called the key members who cast the deciding votes.

The question before us is simple: Will the Internet remain in the hands of
users and innovators? Or will a handful of telephone and cable companies
determine which Web sites you see and which you don't? Yesterday's vote -- a
milestone for our movement -- would have been unthinkable just three weeks
ago.
But we've shown once again that organized people can defeat powerful
corporations.

Our opponents spent untold millions on high-priced lobbyists, slick ad
campaigns and fake grassroots groups. But the voices of hundreds of
thousands of citizens -- your voices -- made the difference.

The SavetheInternet.com Coalition led by Free Press now boasts nearly 700
groups that span the political spectrum, including MoveOn.org, the Christian
Coalition, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Gun Owners of
America, Consumers Union and the American Library Association. Thousands of
blogs have taken up our cause. Yesterday, the coalition's petition drive
surpassed 750,000 signatures.

Our top priority is increasing the number of people who know about this
threat to Internet freedom.

One thing you can do right now: Get five friends to join the fight. Go to
http://action.freepress.net/ct/r7NJYlp1Zup2/

The struggle in Congress isn't over. The full House will take up the
bipartisan Judiciary bill (H.R. 5417) -- as well as the massive rewrite of
the Telecom Act -- after they return in June.
The Senate is also considering major legislation that currently fails to
protect Net Neutrality, though a bipartisan group of Senators are lining up
behind the excellent Snowe-Dorgan bill (S. 2917).

Our work is not done. But momentum is on our side.

We couldn't have done it without you.

Onward,

Josh Silver
Executive Director
Free Press
http://action.freepress.net/ct/f7NJYlp1Zup3/

You can do more:

1. If you haven't done so already, sign the SavetheInternet.com petition and
send a message to Congress. Go to
http://action.freepress.net/ct/rdNJYlp1ZupN/

2. Check out the latest news on the SavetheInternet.com blog. Go to
http://action.freepress.net/ct/fdNJYlp1Zupx/

3. Learn the facts. Read our new report: Why Consumers Demand Internet
Freedom. Go to http://action.freepress.net/ct/f1NJYlp1Zups/

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
http://action.freepress.net/freepress/join-forward.html?domain=freepress&r=l
pNJYlp1nQaV&

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for the Free
Press at:
http://action.freepress.net/freepress/join.html?r=lpNJYlp1nQaVE&

This message was sent to tmoritz at amnh.org. To modify your email
communication preferences or update your personal profile, visit your
subscription management page at:

http://action.freepress.net/freepress/smp.tcl?nkey=i7ig6ukr2jne5d8&

To stop receiving E-Activist Network, unsubscribe using the following link:

http://action.freepress.net/freepress/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=subscript
ion&nkey=i7ig6ukr2jne5d8&

To stop ALL email from Free Press, reply via email with "remove"
in the subject line or use the following link:

http://action.freepress.net/freepress/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=center&nk
ey=i7ig6ukr2jne5d8&