[Taxacom] Collecting in Ecuador

csturmjr+ at pitt.edu csturmjr+ at pitt.edu
Mon May 29 21:11:54 CDT 2006

Folks,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer some advice. I was
contacted by someone (not a member of this list) who was interested in
collecting Arcidae (Bivalvia: Mollusca) clams to study their parasites and
heavy metal contamination. The specimens will be collected in Ecuador. She
was hoping to ship them back to this country for analysis. Does anyone
have information on the regulations for colleting in and shipping material
out of Ecuador? Any thoughts about storage method: ethanol vs. formalin
vs. freezing? Lastly, other than declaring the materials with the USF&WS
(Form 3-177) are there any other import regulations?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Charlie
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine